Sunday, July 31, 2011

master bedroom redo

Immediately after I bought my home, I had to paint almost every room in the house. One of the rooms I painted was my master bedroom. I chose a soft pale blue, which unfortunately, came out like a baby boy's room blue. I should have known it wouldn't be relaxing and/or soothing with a name like "Chinchilla Blue."




I know what you're thinking. At first glance it's really pretty. Well, check it out in action:


*Don't mind the dog on the bed. She has a part time job in the winter as Santa's helper...or at least I like the dress her up and think so.


After living over two years with my bedroom looking like this (above). I decided I had waiting long enough, and I wanted my room to somehow transform into this (below).





or this...



Looking back they are all pretty much monochromatic--which is my style everywhere else in the house--layered with texture (fur, tufting, raw woods, etc). 


So which one did I pick??




This room screams (quietly) luxury, and relaxation with a lot of grown up sophistication. Everything I want in a master bedroom. 


First things first-- paint. My husband chose a soft gray which actually dried white, but in the darker hours you can pick it up. Also, where we didn't do a great job taping off the ceiling and there are smudges you can definitely see that it's a light gray.



At first I thought I should just repaint the room a darker version of this since it looked white, and my daughter's room is a blue-ish white, and my hallways are a creamy white....seeing a pattern? BUT!!! The room did look bigger, and we did have splashes of color brought in with these babies!




(Don't look at my cardigan and pillows that are on top; I was trying to decide on accent colors). This long dresser and another tall chest (not pictured here) were purchased at....a thrift store of course. Total for the set: $139. They were in ok shape but were a turtlely wood varnish mix that wasn't in my grand picture. Not a bad price since shortly after we bought them I saw this on One Kings Lane:




Price tag? $2,450 on sale for $1999.

No comments:

Post a Comment