Saturday, July 30, 2011

my kitchen

Speaking of before and after, I thought I would share with you my kitchen transformation. When I bought the house, it was easy for me to see the bones and possibilities:


Open - the overall scale of the kitchen was really open especially for how old the home was. 


Flow - had the standard triangle flow (stove, sink and fridge all form a triangle).


Utilities - gas option (there was an electric stove), and air duct already in place to the outside.


There was a "kitchen nook" with an unfinished piece of laminate that was so bulky the fridge would only open half way. I consulted with an hvac contractor and I actually had that nook removed and shaved the wall down to create a 6-foot wall opening into the dining room.



To add more counter space and storage while I saved money for the overall transformation, I added a used butcher's block counter, and some cheap shelves.
I also painted the cabinets white to lighten up the whole kitchen. The old cabinets were the center color of the laminate floor that is still in place. A really weird green/brown that was extremely dated looking. I added silver knobs and pulls that I bought used off of craigslist. All in all it was a great quick update when I moved in and actually did the job for about a year. 


After a year, I saved enough money for new appliances, flooring, cabinets, hardware, etc. The process began by taking out EVERYTHING.





After demo, the cabinets were put in. I chose to go with Home Depot cabinets. I called every couple of days until they told me that they were having a sale on kitchen cabinets. Turns out that the custom cabinetry was actually cheaper than the in-stock ones. I chose to stay with white in a very simple design. 
I wanted to still keep the kitchen light and airy so I decided to add clear knobs, pulls and cup pulls.
Total for cabinets: $1500 including delivery
Total for hardware: $150

Next hurdle? The flooring. I chose to go with a laminate flooring that had texture and looked like a stone tiling. I decided to not go with tile all together because of the neighborhood that I live in. I would never see that money back. Besides, the flooring did the trick and I think looks bea-u-t-iful!


The flooring here looks really beige, but in real life it's a white mixed with a blue-grey, and beige veins.

Total cost for flooring: $500

For counters, I chose a formica laminate WITHOUT the edging that runs along the back wall of the counter which saved me approximately $300. I also chose a square edge to keep with clean lines and the modern traditional twist. 



Total cost for counter tops: $250

For the back splash, I decided to bring in a white subway tile, but pair it with a dark grout. I love the look and for cleaning it's perfect. 

For the sink, I chose to NOT keep the double sink since I knew I would be purchasing a dishwasher. In order to compensate, I made sure that it was really large and deep. Overall, I'm happy with my choice. I also chose a bridge faucet to bring some traditional elements back into the kitchen. I decided that since I love to cook and this was MY kitchen I'd throw a splash of pink in there!


Total cost for faucet (fixtureuniverse.com): $115 + free shipping
Total cost for pink light (lampsplus.com): $100 + free shipping
Total cost for back splash + grout: $150

Appliances were one of my favorite buys. I found a gorgeous stainless steel range at a Ukrainian run appliance store in the ghetto.  Downside? It had a gauge in the side which would obviously be covered up once installed.

I added a range hood where the previous owner had a microwave with exhaust fan. I went to Mr. Second's in Webster, NY.

For the dishwasher, I found an Electrolux stainless steel, digital model at Appliance Warehouse in the Village Gate. I had to find someone with a truck to move it, but it was too pretty to pass up. 

Lastly, the fridge I purchased at Home Depot on sale. 

Total cost for range: $400 CASH + free delivery
Total cost for dishwasher: $250
Total cost for fridge: $820
**All costs were final after delivery, taxes, etc. It's important to note, I opened up both HOME DEPOT and LOWES credit cards to save 10%. Everything I purchased, I waited until it went on sale. Lastly, you can get FREE 10% coupons for Lowes at the post office. Just ask for a moving envelope and there is always one in there. Home Depot accepts them as well.

FINAL REVEAL

Great job eh? Not bad for the price mentioned. Please note, that the protective cover isn't pulled off the range hood and paint wasn't on the walls at the time. I'll post finished photos soon after it's cleaned and accessorized.

So what was the total cost?
$4235 for goods mentioned
$75 for wall paint and trim paint
$1500 for labor outside of what was included in the costs mentioned above
------------> $5810

No comments:

Post a Comment